Welcome to torfone.org!
The fundamental right to privacy, guaranteed by the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments to the U. S. Constitution, protects against unwarranted invasions of privacy by federal or state entities, or arms thereof.
Internet telephony is now an important part of people communications and should be protected from intruders, collecting information about you. I had an idea to use the old PGPFone designed by Philip Zimmermann for these purposes by adding the possibility to use The Onion Router anonymizer to ensure anonymity of callers. I did some tests to adopt VoIP transport to TOR tunnels and eventually made acceptable alpha release.
As a result, the TORFone was designed to communicate voice via Internet (make phone calls to the addressee) similarly to Skype but with the following differences:
1. TORFone is an open source project, therefore it indicates no "backdoors" and allows quick fixing of potential vulnerabilities.
2. TORFone is fully portable (it can be run from a flash carrier or virtual TrueCrypt-disk and leaves no residue in the system) and works with all versions of Win32 from Windows 98, has very low system requirements (above PI 233 MHz 32M RAM), is economical in traffic (at least 20 kbit/s which corresponds to the GPRS Class 10).
3. TORFone decentralized ie does not use an external server and does not require pre-registration number.
4. TORFone provides full confidentiality (by using DH-4096 to match the session key and 3-DES to encrypt the voice traffic). The attacker who mirrors the traffic is unable to listen to the conversation and is not able to decode it later even if he gains access to the computers of participants.
5. Caller and callee are completely anonymous to each other and to outside observers (a call is made on hidden TOR-service user).
6. Calls using TORFone is hidden to the outside observer since TOR traffic not differs from usual https-connection.
I think now that TORFone is one of the most anonymous and confidential tools for the Internet telephony. The payment for anonymity is voice latency up to 2-4 seconds (because traffic goes through a chain of 6 nodes located around the world). If anonymity is non-important Torfon can work as a direct connection "point to point" using IP-adress / domain name which fully keeps the privacy. Torfon also provides subscriber voice authentication to avoid attack "man in the middle" and, therefore, it can be used to exchange by personal data (such as files or short text messaging) safely.